Are you looking for the easiest way to get from Yerevan to Garni? This guide will detail the options you have to travel to Garni from Yerevan (and back again)!
Armenia has hundreds of amazing natural and historical sights and many of them are located in close proximity to Yerevan.
Within an hour of Yerevan, you can reach Khor Virap, Geghard Monastery Complex (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), the Holy City of Etchmiadzin, Zvartnots Cathedral ruins, and as this guide suggests, the Temple of Garni.
This guide will detail how to get from Yerevan to Garni by public transportation, taxi, or rental car. It also lists some reputable tours to Garni from Yerevan.
If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments! We have made this trip several times and have a lot of insight and are happy to help!
Table of Contents
- How to Get From Yerevan to Garni
- How to Get Around in Garni
- Where to Stay in Garni
- Where to Stay in Yerevan
How to Get From Yerevan to Garni
Where is the Temple of Garni Located?
The fascinating Pagan Temple of Garni is located 44 minutes (25.9 km) away from Yerevan in the Kotayk region in the village of Garni. Garni village is located right on the edge of the breathtaking Garni Gorge, where you will also find the Symphony of Stones.
The ride from Yerevan to Garni passes through picturesque landscapes surrounded by forests, mighty mountains from far, the colorful Azat Reservoir, Arch of Charents, Voghchaberd Caves, and much more.
There are several options for how to get to Garni from Yerevan and we detail them all below.
How To Get from Yerevan To Garni by Bus
Buses and minibuses (Number 26) depart from Yerevan to Garni village from the Gai Bus Station right next to the Mercedes-Benz dealership. It’s possible to get to the bus station by public transportation from the city center, or by taking an affordable Yerevan taxi.
The ticket price of the ride to Garni is 250 AMD (less than $1) per person. The ride from Yerevan to Garni by bus lasts approximately 40 minutes.
How To Get from Yerevan To Garni by Taxi
If you want to comfortably get dropped off next to Garni Temple right from your hotel or any spot in Yerevan, then taking a taxi is a fantastic option.
There are several taxi apps that you can download to order the cab. It will allow you to plug in the location beforehand and it will also give you the price.
Alternatively, you can take a street taxi, but we really don’t recommend it.
The taxi ride from Yerevan center to Garni will take approximately 45-50 minutes and the cost of the ride will be anywhere from 2700 AMD to 3200 AMD ($5-$6 ) depending on how heavy the traffic is at the time.
Renting a Car
Renting a car in Armenia is a great option for travelers who are planning to discover many places in the country and don’t want to waste time catching public transportation and taxis.
The cars are affordable in Armenia and most of them have air conditioning, allowing you to travel around comfortably, even during the blisteringly hot summer months! Renting a car also allows for stops at your leisure (and trust me, you will make plenty of stops to take in the sights)!
Take a Tour to Garni
One of the best options for getting to Garni from Yerevan and visiting the Temple of Garni is to take a tour. This gives you the chance to see everything with prearranged transportation and a very knowledgeable guide.
Another reason we highly recommend taking a tour to Garni is that you will likely be making other stops along the way, including a stop at Geghard Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
They may also take you down to check out the Symphony of Stones, a very impressive natural phenomenon located inside of Garni Gorge.
Here are the top tours to Garni:
- Private Tour to Garni, Geghard, Echmiadzin, & Zvartnots: This tour will take you to the two monasteries as well as the holy city of Etchmiadzin and the nearby Zvartnots Cathedral ruins. All places are definitely worth the visit when you’re in Armenia! Click here to inquire about tour availability and rates.
- Garni, Gegard and Lake Sevan Day Trip from Yerevan: This tour is fantastic because you can see both of the monasteries in addition to one of the prides of Armenia- Lake Sevan. The lake is gorgeous no matter what time you visit it during the year and we highly suggest adding it to your Armenia itinerary. Click here to inquire about tour availability and rates.
- From Yerevan: 4.5-Hour Garni-Geghard Tour: If you’re just seeking to see the two monasteries and that is it, then this is the tour for you. It only lasts a short amount of time but that duration is long enough to see and educate yourself about both temples. Click here to inquire about tour availability and rates.
If you’re looking for even more tours for your Armenia trip – be sure to check out our guide to the best tours of Armenia here.
How to Get Around in Garni
As you get to Garni village from Yerevan, the village actually has a lot to offer and may be larger than you expect! It really is the perfect Yerevan day trip!
Garni village is located right on the edge of the gorge. Besides the famous Pagan temple, you can eat traditional Armenian food in a stunning restaurant (with views overlooking the temple and landscapes), hike to Garni gorge, buy souvenirs, and much more!
Are You Wanting to Visit the Symphony of Stones?
The natural wonder of the Symphony Of Stones is located in Garni Gorge and will blow your mind because the formation of the basalt columns is otherworldly and unique.
You can hike down into the gorge on the left side of the Temple of Garni but make sure you have proper hiking shoes. Alternatively, you can drive there by following the signs from the main road.
Where to Stay in Garni
We don’t typically stay in Garni when we go there because we have a place to crash in Yerevan and it is so close to the capital city.
But, we can definitely recommend staying at 7 QAR as we have been there, know that the rooms are nice and that the food is excellent (seriously… so good!) It sits on the Garni Gorge and you have an epic view of the Temple of Garni from 7 QAR.
Where to Stay in Yerevan
If you’re looking to crash in Yerevan and just venture to Garni as a day trip, there are a plethora of places to stay in Yerevan. Here are our three top picks for all budgets:
- The Alexander: This hotel is high-end and the finest and most luxurious hotel in Yerevan. You can check out rates and availability for The Alexander here.
- 14th Floor: A mid-range hotel right in the city center of Yerevan, 14th Floor offers excellent views and service while delivering on all your basic amenities. Rooms are modern and nice. You can check out rates and availability for 14th Floor here.
- Grand Hostel: This is one of our top hostel picks in Yerevan as it is insanely clean and offers great service run by a friendly and hospitable family. They have private rooms as well as dorms. You can check out rates and availability for Grand Hostel here.
We hope that this guide detailing how to get from Yerevan to Garni helps you plan your trip! If you have any questions about getting to Garni from Yerevan, please leave us a comment below or send us a message. Thanks!